The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

Though it took me a while to warm up to Julie Kagawa's Iron Fey series I ended up enjoying the it, as well as the first book of the spin off series, The Lost Prince and when I was lucky enough to receive a copy of The Eternity Cure, I was happy for the excuse to dive into another of her series.

I picked up The Immortal Rules to read before beginning The Eternity Cure and though I enjoyed elements of Kagawa's writing and her creative post-apocalyptic world-building, I found myself a little underwhelmed. Nevertheless I moved straight on to The Eternity Cure which picks up almost five months later.

Having left Eden, and Zeke, behind, Allison is tracing her sire and mentor Kanin, who is being held captive by the psychotic vampire Sarren. Avoiding the Rabids, feeding only when necessary on the opportunists that cross her path, she follows the call of blood but when her journey is intercepted by her 'blood brother', she reluctantly agrees to an alliance with the murderous vampire. Pooling their knowledge, Allison is stunned when the trail leads to her former home, New Covington and is appalled to find the population under threat by a lethal variant of the Red Lung virus. With time running out, Allison must find a way into the heart of the city to save Kanin before the world is lost.

The Eternity Cure is fast paced and action packed and what I do really like about this series is it's gritty, dark nature. Real, bloody, visceral violence is usually avoided in young adult novels but here Kagawa almost revels in it.
This darkness though is offset by snarky humour and romance (those who complained about the lack of lurve in The Immortal Rules should be satisfied with the sweet and hopeful reunion of Allie and Zeke), but more importantly by the way in which the heroes hold onto hope and fight to survive.
Unfortunately I did find the plot fairly predictable, there were no real surprises, from Stick's double betrayal to Sarren's evil scheme and despite some resolution, the story ends on a cliff hanger which will have fans bemoaning the 12 month wait until book 3.

Despite my lack of overt enthusiasm, I did enjoy The Eternity Cure. It's a fast, easy read and fans of the first novel should not be disappointed with the continued action, romance and Allison's drive for redemption.

Source: http://bookdout.wordpress.com/2013/05/01/review-the-eternity-cure-by-julie-kagawa