SPOILER ALERT!

Girls don’t want to be like their mums ...

Flowers in the Attic  - V.C. Andrews Petals on the Wind  - V.C. Andrews
Reblogged from Kate says:

... and no one can blame them when they have such mum like Corrine. First she took her kids to grandparent’s house after her husband's death and then left them in the attic. It supposed to be a temporary 2-day situation, but days changed into weeks, weeks into months and months into years. She visited them from time to time to finally stop seeing them and wishing them dead (literally). The story finished with bitterness and sadness but full of hopes.

The second part in the series showed how big influence our emotions and childhood experiences have on our adult life and choices we make. Although girls don’t want to be similar to their evil mums they grow up alike. Unfortunately, Cathy became like her mum. Not literally and not in every respect. But as I read Petals on the Wind I could see the same eagerness (I will do anything), motivation (when I’ll be rich) and ability to do everything to get what she wants. Here it was a revenge on her mum. Somewhere in this plan she totally lost herself.

Flowers in the Attic were cruel but also ouching. The world from kids’ perspective was painful but there was still a hope between lines. In the second part I couldn’t identify with Cathy’s actions, there were moments where I wanted to put book aside because the tension inside me was so strong. I didn’t and I think that’s a prove of author’s great writing. I actually started to argue with Cathy’s decisions, her relationships with man and couldn’t believe how it could all be happening - that’s how I forget that it was actually a fiction. So I couldn’t identify with Cathy but i definitely identified with atmosphere and all history of Cathy, Chris, Carrie, Paul, Henny, Julian.

Then I was thinking that literature can be really harsh for parents from the youngest age.

Many of most popular fairy tales tell stories of children whose parents we absent, dead or abusive, mainly stepmothers. Who doesn’t know a tale or Snow White? Contemporary literature follows this path with fanatic mum in Stephen King’s Carrie, murder mum in White Oleander or in Nurowska’s Dom na krawędzi where mother gives away her child to her ‘friend’, former convict who she met in prison where she worked. Dads aren’t faultless too, in Homo Faber a man slept with his daughter. Accidentally as his former girlfriend didn’t notify him they have a child. Sometimes fate can be really horrifying.